I am back in the fannish land of living! I have seen quite few good Korean dramas recently and it feels like a good time to make a "My top 10 favorites" list.
1. The Legend
– it is a truly great piece of TV, Eastern, Western and otherwise.
2. Lovers in Paris
Cinderella's story! Dimples! (read more below :D)
3. Goong (aka Princess Hours aka Imperial Household)
– The greatest love story in Korean drama for me. EVER.
Usually in Kdrama love stories develop the following way (I take 20 episode drama as an example) :
a) Episode 1: They meet.
b) Episode 4: They are in love but they don't know it yet themselves.
c) Episode 10: They discover that their feelings are mutual and that their love is BIG LOVE.
d) The rest of the episodes: Many obstacles on the way of Their Big Love.
My personal favourite parts are from a to c and because part d doesn't interest me much I usually end up lagging at the end. In "Goong" part c lasted up to the episode 22 (I think) with Shin never being sure that CG loved him and throwing fits of jealousy. I loved this. Plus the best costumes.
4. A Love to Kill
– Tragedy that is psychologically very true. Best angst. Best kissing scenes. Rain.
5. Winter Queen
– SO lovely. Snow! Winter! Hyun Bin boxing! Dimples again!
6. Full House
– Rain! Young and pretty! And the good ending!
7. My name is Kim Sam Soon
is the most "Western" Kdrama I have seen. I loved the main herouine. Add Hyun Bin and dimple obsession.
8. Capital Scandal
– May be the best made drama after "The Legend", devoid of the usual Korean cheesy music, cheesy costumes and unnecessary secondary characters. But I am not sure about the flippancy with which it dealt with murder for terrorist purposes.
– I adored the main couple but at the end the storyline with the pregnant girlfriend left me with heavy feelings. I am not sure if I feel that Kang Jae should have been more responsible for his girlfriend instead of going around staring at Mi Joo with puppy-dog eyes. I know – BIG love! But we are in charge of our feelings, right? At least to the point where we don't show them to our pregnant girlfriends who can miscarry our child? In short, losing a child is a really big subject for me and I rather don't have it in a drama.
10. My Girl
– The best "third man" in the history.
11. Tree of Heaven
- I have forgotten this one! It has to make number 11. Forbidden step-sibling love with Lee Wan totally deserves it.Hong Gil Dong
I really quite liked Hong Gil Dong up to a point and was hoping it would make it into the top ten, ( but (spoilers) not anymore. )Lovers in Paris
Her dress is so pretty:( Big promotion for Lovers in Paris, in Pictures )Lovers in Prague
I have started this drama (and it took me a while to find it! I learned how to use Clubbox just for this occasion!). Very good, but not as good as "Lovers" or "Lovers in Paris" so far.